Raster Line Drawing and Labelled Polygons

gcolello at biosphere.Stanford.EDU gcolello at biosphere.Stanford.EDU
Fri Sep 18 15:31:53 EDT 1992

Scenario: We have a line drawing outlining Stanford's Jasper Ridge
soil areas scanned in on a Mac resulting in a PICT format image file
(This is a black and white drawing.). The scanned drawing was edited
in SuperPaint so that the lines are only 1 pixel thick and outline
only closed polygons. We also have a version of this drawing in which
we used the paint bucket in SuperPaint to colorize the polygons
manually with 7 differnet colors (soil types). This of course still
has the 1 pixel lines in it.

Question 1: Can Grass even import a PICT file?  If so, can Grass take
a scanned line image and erode the lines to single pixel widths?

Question 2:  We realize that the successfully imported line drawing
could be used as a raster overlay plane like is done in the Spearfish
data base with Streams. However, can GRASS take any of these PICT
images and generate a numbered polygons file like it is possible to
do with a spectral image file? We assume the final polygon product
should have no lines at all. This means some sort of decision process
as to which polygon gets which pixels from bounding lines.

Any comments?

Greg Colello
Carnegie Institution, Department of Plant Biology
Stanford University
gcolello at biosphere.stanford.edu