No subject

Net.Noise owner news at max.cecer.army.mil
Tue May 11 10:40:57 EDT 1993

Newsgroups: info.grass.user
From: burnett at zorro.cecer.army.mil (Andy Burnett)
Subject: Re: "Not enough colors"
Sender: news at news.cecer.army.mil (Net.Noise owner)
Date: Tue, 11 May 1993 14:40:54 GMT

In <9305111331.AA25365 at polar.bowdoin.edu> nsmith at polar.bowdoin.edu (Neel Smith) writes:

>Using xgdisplay in GRASS4.1 on a DEC5000, I sometimes get a message
>XGRASS DISPLAY LIB ERROR:  Not enough colors available.  Make more
>available before strating again.

>At other times, xgdisplay starts just fine (and I love it!).

>What is the source of this error?  How do I make more colors available?
>Any help appreciated.

  When xgdisplay starts up, it needs at least 12 (11 vector colors + the
highlight color) free colors in the default color map.  If it can't get
these 12 colors, it gives up.  If you are running other applications that
are color intensive, they will hog up a majority of the colors in the
color map.  Exiting these applications will free up the colors in the
color map and xgdisplay should be able to start up.  You can run the
program 'xcmap' to look at your current default color map.

				&y
Andy Burnett                --  burnett at zorro.cecer.army.mil
US Army Corps of Engineers  --  Construction Engineering Research Lab