legends....

Brandy Riche lewis!brandy at cerl.cecer.army.mil
Tue May 11 10:54:34 EDT 1993

Christine - we've been through this demo process ourselves a few times.  What
we finally did is to make icons for the patterns, and kept the patterns simple.
If you created a pattern using defpat, you can copy that into another vi file
and use it as an icon for a site which you manually determine from the layout
of your legend.  If you have vertical, horizontal, or diagonal lines, those are
easy enough to create in a vi file as well. Although it seemed like a bit of
a pain at first, we have used those icons enough since then, that we realized
we should have done it a long time ago.  Here are some examples which you can
resize as necessary.

xxxxxxx
x  x  x
x  x  x
x  +  x
x  x  x
x  x  x
xxxxxxx

xxxxxxx
xx    x
x x   x
x  +  x
x   x x
x    xx
xxxxxxx

These are extremely simple as you can see but after all, the legend should be.
We have on the order of 60 or more icons we have created, as I'm sure you do
as well.  We should see about exchanging them sometime to get some new stuff.
Ours include animals, birds, USGS symbols, etc.

By the way, I was the one that called you about CORPSCON.  I ended up figuring
it all out, but had a problem instead using GRASS4.1beta to do the digitizing I
needed the coordinates for.  I had to go back to 4.0 to get the job done.  So
the problem wasn't with CORPSCON at all.  Thanks for your help though.

Brandy Riche, Fort Lewis, WA