GRASS and ARC....

W. Fredrick Limp fred at cast.uark.edu
Fri Jun 3 09:59:18 EDT 1994

I just had to put my two "sense" worth into this thread:

> Just my two cents worth -- "free" ?  What of the cost of having someone
> compile and maintain the software.  What about training and its costs?
---
  everybody seems to forget that, *If* you want you can *buy* GRASS
  with support and all that keen stuff.  The price usually runs about
  1 to 3 kilobucks.
-----
> What of the time (cost) of converting ARC/INFO data to GRASS format?  What

________
   One of the problems with a closely held data structures is that translation
   is made more difficult.  With the open structure of GRASS many vendors
   now have software that can read/write GRASS data with no translation.
   As an aside.... the problem w/ GRASS to Arc data translation is that
   the ARC module still assumes the GRASS 3.0 data structure...
   You can either convert GRASS 4.+ color
   tables back to GRASS 3.0 format or remove the color table and then
   the ARC tool for importing GRASS data will work.
---------
> about the cost of new computers -- most districts are on the DG (Data General)
> system, which is not even PC-based, but a dedicated server/slave terminal
> configuration that is proprietary.
>
> True, the USFS regional office (Lakewood) and Arapahoe/Roosevelt Nat.
> Forest (Ft. Collins) have HP workstations and qualified people.
>
> The taxpayers (and me) are fed up with government waste, and having duplicate
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  er, I don't want to point a finger but isn't spending a zillion federal
  dollars when there was *already* a perfectly useful system in use a little
  like converting stamps to cash (aka Mr. Rosty's charges??)

> GIS systems (after choosing a good, albeit expensive one) can be seen as a
> luxury ala Rosty.
>
> I would suppose (my guess, not first-hand knowledge, by any means) that
> the DATABASE integration sold ARC to the USFS, (unless they got a good price,

-----
   There is a very solid DATABASE linkage in GRASS with the db tools.
   DB tools works with Informix, Oracle and Ingress at last count and
   fully implements the "geo-relational" model.  I don't want to carp
   but I think that you will shortly be finding out why INFO is
   commonly referred to as the "darkside" of ARC.  Info is not
   SQL compliant etc etc... the new (rev 6.0) DB linkages do
   permit solid linkages with SQL complinat RDBMses but they do take
   a little twisting and turning... you will soon see why cursors are
   commonly mispelled curses &*#@$%...

   Listen, ARC is a great system but has its limitations, but so is GRASS they
   just have different strengths and weaknesses.
--------

--
W. Fredrick Limp,   Director                     FAX: (501) 575-3846
CAST, Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies   TEL: (501) 575-6159
Fayetteville AR 72701                             fred at cast.uark.edu