TCL/Tk

Greg Koerper greg at dubious.cor2.epa.gov
Fri Jun 24 17:11:27 EDT 1994

> GRASS users
>
> 	My colleague and I have just obtained the overheads and other
> information from Doug's class at the GRASS users convention in Reston, Virginia.In the first overhead it mentions were to find information and we obtained a
> good amount from these sources but we were unable to locate Ousterhout's Book
> Sections 1 and 2, which it said was a goopd introduction.  It also mentioned
> Widget Reference Cards which we were also unable to find.  If anyone has info onwhere we would be able to locate these things or other info about Tcl/Tk the
> help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> 				Thanks,
> 					Dan Reilly
> e-mail: danr at omdc.gso.uri.edu

I downloaded tcl/tk code and docs from ftp.cs.berkeley.edu (directory /ucb/tcl)
on Feb 15.  You might yet find the 4 parts of the book (a draft) as
book.p*.ps.Z.  On the other hand, these files may have been removed from the ftp
server, since publication of the book is imminent.

I was looking at contributed code yesterday at harbor.ecn.purdue.edu and I
believe I saw a Widget Reference file available there (dir pub/tcl).
Ousterhost also recommends Andrew Payne's "Widget Tour", wtour* if I remember
correctly.

I will attach the README I found at the berkeley site after my signature.
Good luck.

greg

Greg Koerper                            Internet: greg at heart.cor.epa.gov
ManTech Environmental Technology, Inc.
US EPA Environmental Research Lab	voice:	(503) 754-4490
200 SW 35th St., JSB                    fax:    (503) 754-4338
Corvallis, OR   97333

"Too much of our discussion here, I am afraid, has dealt with proposals for
man's exercising control over nature without reference to the kind of control
he must exercise over himself." -- L. Mumford

This directory contains a collection of files related to Tcl and
Tk, which are available for anonymous FTP.  Below is a description
of what is in the various files in this directory:

tk3.6.tar.Z -		This is the latest and most stable release of the
			Tk toolkit, released in November 1993.  It includes
			the sources for the Tk library and the "wish"
			windowing shell, plus reference manual entries and
			a number of demonstration scripts.

tk3.6p1.patch -		Patch file that fixes bugs in Tk version 3.6.
			See the beginning of the patch file for information
			about the bugs it fixes and how to apply it.

tcl7.3.tar.Z -		This is the latest and most stable release of the
			Tcl library, released in November 1993.  It includes
			the sources for the Tcl library and the "tclsh"
			application, plus reference manual entries.

tclX7.3a.tar.Z -	Extended Tcl (or NeoSoft Tcl), created by Mark
			Diekhans and Karl Lehenbauer, which adds a number
			of useful facilities to the base Tcl release.
			Among the things in Extended Tcl are a Tcl shell,
			many new commands for things like UNIX kernel
			call access, keyed lists, and time conversion, and an
			on-line help facility.  This package works with Tcl
			versions 7.3 or later and Tk versions 3.6 or later.

mx.tar.Z -		Sources and documentation for a mouse-based text
			editor (mx) and terminal emulator (tx) based on
			Tcl.  This is a very old release:  it uses an old
			version of Tcl (which is included) and doesn't
			even use Tk;  it uses an ancient toolkit called
			"Sx".  These tools will eventually be replaced
			with new tools based on Tk and the newest Tcl.

mx-2.5.tar.Z - 		Newer version of mx (see above) that uses the
			standard X selection mechanism rather than the
			homegrown mechanism used by previous versions.
			Version 2.5 is not backwards compatible with
			previous versions (you can't cut and paste between
			the two). Still uses sx and an old version of
			Tcl (both of which are included).

mx-2.5.patch.Z -	Patch file for converting mx 2.4 sources into 2.5.
			Invoke patch in the top-level mx directory
			with the "-p1" switch and an uncompressed version of
			this file, e.g. "patch -p1 < mx-2.5.patch".

book.p1.ps.Z		Compressed Postscript for a draft of the first part
			of an upcoming book on Tcl and Tk to be published in
			1994 by Addison-Wesley.  This part of the book
			describes the Tcl language and how to write scripts
			in it.  About 130 pages in length.

book.p2.ps.Z		Compressed Postscript for a draft of the second part
			of an upcoming book on Tcl and Tk to be published in
			1994 by Addison-Wesley.  This part of the book
			describes how to write Tcl scripts for Tk.  About
			125 pages in length.

book.p3.ps.Z		Compressed Postscript for a draft of the third part
			of an upcoming book on Tcl and Tk to be published in
			1994 by Addison-Wesley.  This part of the book
			describes how to write Tcl applications in C, using
			the Tcl library procedure.  64 pages in length.

book.p4.ps.Z		Compressed Postscript for a draft of the last part
			of an upcoming book on Tcl and Tk to be published in
			1994 by Addison-Wesley.  This part of the book
			describes how to write new widgets and geometry
			managers in C, using the Tk library procedure.  About
			70 pages in length.

tclUsenix90.ps -	Postscript for a paper on Tcl that appeared in the
			Winter 1990 USENIX Conference.

tkUsenix91.ps -		Postscript for a paper on Tk that appeared in the
			Winter 1991 USENIX Conference.

tkF10.ps -		Postscript for Figure 10 of the Tk paper.

tut.tar.Z -		A collection of materials from a full-day tutorial
			on Tcl and Tk.  Includes viewgraphs from five one-hour
			talks plus a sample widget.

tclCover.tar.Z -	Winning entries in the Tcl/Tk book cover contest
			(unpacks to about 5 Mbytes).

tc-tcl93.ps.gz -	PostScript formatted copy of Tcl Compiler paper
			presented at the Tcl'93 Workshop.
tc-tcl93.tex.gz -	LaTeX source for the Tcl Compiler paper presented
			at the Tcl'93 Workshop.

Each of the releases has a README file in the top-level directory that
describes how to compile the release, where to find documentation, etc.

Questions or problems with any of these distributions should be directed
to John Ousterhout (ouster at cs.berkeley.edu).