ArcInfo2Grass

Hartmut Guendra cr1 at aixterm1.urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed May 31 08:00:00 EDT 1995

y?31??95?01?52?05?pm at bnr.ca>
content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
organization: University of Illinois at Urbana
mime-version: 1.0
reply-to: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
newsgroups: info.grass.user
originator: daemon at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

> Hi,
>
> Here I've kept a full archive of all email about conversions between Grass
> and ArcInfo, and it doesn't seem to answer one simple question:
> Why doesn't ArcInfo 6.1 'ungenerate' recognise polygons exported with
> Grass 4.1.4 v.out.arc? Is there anything I need to edit in the ungenerate
> file? Or do I have to import polygons as 'lines', then build new topology?
>
> Confused,
>
> P. Martijn van Leusen -------------------------------------------------------
+
> Leverhulme Research Fellow, The Wroxeter Hinterland Project
|
> University of Birmingham Field Archaeology Unit
|
> Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT
|
> Phone +44 121 414 5513  Fax +44 121 414 5516  E-mail P.M.van-Leusen at bham.ac.u

Hi Martijn,
I think it is the right way to import lines first. I normally build the
polygon topology in the second step with the build or clean command in
ARC/INFO. It doesn't make any problems. We had more problems to exchange the
label information, but it is possible too. We use v.reclass in GRASS to
create the labels and import them with the POINTS option in the ARC/INFO
generate command.

Hope this helps ....

Hartmut

Hartmut Guendra
Geographisches Institut
Universitaet Heidelberg          Phone: (+49)-6221-564576
INF 348                          FAX  : (+49)-6221-564996
69120 Heidelberg                 email: hartmut at geo0.geog.uni-heidelberg.de
Germany