set scale in p.map

Ronald Wiemer RWIEM at archis.nl
Thu Feb 1 07:00:00 EST 1996

> Hi there,
>
>     I have trouble setting scale attribute in p.map.new command.  What
> ever I set, "scale 10 centimeters" or "scale 1:25000", the size of the
> output map is the same.  Does anyone know how to solve this?
>
> -Madeline

It depends on which paint driver you select. When printing to a
printer, the scale will reflect the input you have given to
p.map.new. However, if you have choosen to print to a ppm file, the
scale will always be the same, unless you set environment variables
HEIGHT (# rows in resulting bitmap) and WIDTH (# columns)

Bourne shell syntax:
HEIGHT=2048
WIDTH=1024
expost HEIGHT WIDTH
csh syntax:
setenv HEIGHT 2048
setenv WIDTH 1024

With some effort you can calculate the number of rows and columns you
need, to print an image on a printer with a specific resolution  on a
preferred scale.

.
Ronald Wiemer
R.O.B. / Archis