extracting raster elevation along ax XY vector path

John Shimeld shimeld%basking at [129.229.1.5]
Thu Jan 18 07:00:00 EST 1996

Jan?12??96?10?13?04?am at bnr.ca>
content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
organization: University of Illinois at Urbana
mime-version: 1.0
reply-to: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
newsgroups: info.grass.user
originator: daemon at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

Hello Grass Users,

I am a Grass neophyte so I'm hoping for a little patience here. How can I
extract elevations from a raster map along a **complicated** vector path?
I have learned about r.profile, r.transect, and d.profile, but none of
these seem to be appropriate in cases where an XY vector has a large
number (1000s) of coordinates.

Thanks in advance,

John Shimeld
ab340 at ccn.cs.dal.ca