importing "BIL" format files...

Schmidt avenues at sonnet.com
Wed Jul 17 08:00:00 EDT 1996

At 12:30 PM 7/16/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I am looking for any codes, suggestions, or recommendations that may save me
>unnecessary development time. (I hope somebody out there has already done
 this).

>I need to import a "BIL" format file to a GRASS raster cell file.  "BIL" is th
>format of the 30 arc second DEMs (referenced in lat/lon) available at
>edcftp.cr.usgs.gov (/pub/data/30ASDCWDEM).  The README associated with these
>files (South America), indicates that some of the ancillary files in these
>archives can be read by ARC/INFO's Image Integration application.  I do not
>have access to ARC/INFO.  Also, I have not been able to identify any "readily"

>available means of importing them to GRASS as is.  Perhaps someone else has.
>
>If someone has already developed some sort of translation code for these files
>that results in r.in.ascii or r.in.ll compatible files, or some other
>GRASS-convenient format, I would very much like to obtain it.  Otherwise, I
>would very much appreciate suggestions and pointers to ease the development
 and
>verification burden in creating such a translator.
>
>Any comments?  Please let me know.
>
>Thank you sincerely,
>

>Jason

_

>Jason A. Sperfslage                     Hydrologic Research Center
>Programmer/Analyst                      12780 High Bluff Drive, Suite 260
>                                        San Diego  CA   92130-2069
>
>jasperfs at hrc.ucsd.edu                   Tel: (619) 794-2726
>                                       Fax: (619) 792-2519
>
>                                       http://hrc.ucsd.edu
_

I think the uncompressed GRASS raster format for cell files is BIL. At least
I have been able to use one-byte (less than 256 categories) uncompressed
GRASS files in programs such as Arc View using the .bil extention and a
header file with registration information.  As I recall, I have also been
able to import SPOT files in a BIL format using the i.tape.other routine.

jim Schmidt
avenues at sonnet.com