importing "BIL" format files...

Jason Sperfslage jasperfs at hrc.ucsd.edu
Tue Jul 16 08:00:00 EDT 1996

Hello everyone,

I am looking for any codes, suggestions, or recommendations that may save me
unnecessary development time. (I hope somebody out there has already done this)
.

I need to import a "BIL" format file to a GRASS raster cell file.  "BIL" is the
format of the 30 arc second DEMs (referenced in lat/lon) available at
edcftp.cr.usgs.gov (/pub/data/30ASDCWDEM).  The README associated with these
files (South America), indicates that some of the ancillary files in these
archives can be read by ARC/INFO's Image Integration application.  I do not
have access to ARC/INFO.  Also, I have not been able to identify any "readily"
available means of importing them to GRASS as is.  Perhaps someone else has.

If someone has already developed some sort of translation code for these files
that results in r.in.ascii or r.in.ll compatible files, or some other
GRASS-convenient format, I would very much like to obtain it.  Otherwise, I
would very much appreciate suggestions and pointers to ease the development and

verification burden in creating such a translator.

Any comments?  Please let me know.

Thank you sincerely,

Jason

Jason A. Sperfslage                     Hydrologic Research Center
Programmer/Analyst                      12780 High Bluff Drive, Suite 260
                                        San Diego  CA   92130-2069

jasperfs at hrc.ucsd.edu                   Tel: (619) 794-2726
                                        Fax: (619) 792-2519

                                        http://hrc.ucsd.edu