Multiple sessions in GRASS: I do it this way.

Andrea Giacomelli andreag at idra6.iar.polimi.it
Wed Mar 20 07:00:00 EST 1996

Panel_save???Mar?20???9?25am?@bnr.ca>
content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
organization: University of Illinois at Urbana
mime-version: 1.0
reply-to: grassu-list at pandora.cecer.army.mil
newsgroups: info.grass.user
originator: daemon at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

So,

The idea is that GRASS will run under only one single HOME,
so if you define for different terminals you start it from a
different HOME, you can run multiple sessions, with two obvious
remarks:

1- careful about working on the same location from two sessions!
2- other programs looking at the value for HOME may get into
trouble.

I have not experienced any problems or conflicts to date, but
anything can happen...

However, I still think this thing is useful. My big nuisance is having
to check the results of some rectification: you have to quit, enter,
quit and enter all day long. This way, it works out much smoother.

I made up a very simple script; obviously you can figure out anything
more (or less) automated.
Having a directory ~/.gsessions with one subdirectory for each possible
session (I made s1 s2 and s3), I made linked copies of ~/.grassrc and
~/.grass.cshrc in each of these subdirs.
This way I start GRASS from something like this:

----------------------------------
#
if($#argv == 0) then
echo "Usage: G [1|2|3]"
echo "Where 1,2 or 3 is the session number"
exit -1
endif

setenv HOME ~/.gsessions/s$argv[1]
grass4.1

Enjoy, and let me know how you get along.

Cheers,

--
                        Andrea Giacomelli
                        andreag at idra6.iar.polimi.it