correcting elevations on digit. contours

Michel Wurtz - LTE mw at engees.u-strasbg.fr
Wed Aug 26 04:23:32 EDT 1998

Radoslav Bonk wrote:
>         And the problem is that some of contours have bad elevations. I would like
> to check all maps to find a mistakes and afterthat cover a raster
> DEM with contours to correct elevations in ArcView database.

The method we used (not with grass, but it must work with any GIS)
was to convert each contour map in a raster and then visualise it
in 3D where all mistakes introduce some strange aspects in the
topography, so you know where to correct the vector files... This
does not work for some little errors but eliminates the major ones.

Another thing to do is to draw the contour map with odd, even and
main contours in differents colors (ex: 10,30,70,90 in red, 20, 40,
60 and 80 in green and 0, 50, 100 in black)  It's very easy to
detect misplaced values...

--
Michel Wurtz    ENGEES - Laboratoire Territoires & Environnement
                1, quai Koch - BP 1039, F-67070 STRASBOURG cedex