Xgrass & Lesstif

Justin Hickey jhickey at impact1.hpcc.nectec.or.th
Mon Jul 13 04:36:44 EDT 1998

Hello Eliot

On Jul 11,  1:09am, Eliot Cline wrote:
> Does anybody actually have Xgrass up and running with Lesstif. Xgrass
> compiles OK with Lesstif on my system. I can start Xgrass, but I can't
> get beyond the Database/Location/Mapset selection dialog. Selecting the
> database with the mouse has no effect at all.

I had two problems with getting xgrass to run, but on an SGI, not using
lesstif. I actually mailed my solutions to the someone on the list a while ago
so I'll include them here.

I hope this helps.

================================= start message 1 =============================

When "xgrass4.1" was first run, it didn't display the lists properly. To fix
this the file "$GIS/src/xgrass/menu/xgdbset.c" had to be changed. Lines 1637
and 1692 appear as follows:
	XmNrightAttachment, XmATTACH_FORM,
	XmNleftAttachment, XmATTACH_FORM,
These lines are part of the definition of the list containers that are placed
inside a form. The definitions, as they are, both describe the containers as
occupying the whole form. Therefore, one of the containers will cover up the
other. This situation is fixed by commenting out the above lines. The program
was re-compiled by simply typing "gmake4.1" in the "$GIS/src/xgrass/menu"
directory.

================================== end message 1 ==============================

================================= start message 2 =============================

There should be a file called $GIS/etc/databases (if not you can create it)
which contains the information for the grass database directories. Each line in
the file is the complete path to a grass database (eg  /usr/people/grass/data).
Simply add a line with the complete path to your grass database and save the
file. Then start xgrass and the path should now appear in the database list.
Then you simply click the database you want and the available locations will
appear. Then click the location you want and the available mapsets appear.
Click the mapset you want and then click accept. The xgrass menubar should pop
up. Then immediately quit xgrass and a dialog box should appear. You can now
save your seesion with an appropriate name and quit. The next time you run
xgrass the session will appear in the session list.

It's not elegant but it beats mucking around with the code. Hope this helps.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center