TIFF Export

Ben Horner-Johnson ben at earth.nwu.edu
Tue Aug 3 15:03:44 EDT 1999

> From: Michael A Crimmins <mcrimmin at net-link.net>
> Subject: TIFF Export

> Has anyone had any luck using the TIFF Export function in GRASS5.0beta2?
> It comes up as an option under 'Export' in the tcltk interface. I get
> the following error message:
>
> r.out.tiff: error in loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.6: cannot open
> shared object files: No such file or directory.
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions.

It looks like r.out.tiff was compiled using shared libraries (.so) which are
linked at run-time instead of static libraries (.a) that are linked at compile
time and make executables larger.  Either you're missing libjpeg.so.6 (in
which case, how did it compile?) or it can't be found in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Places to check are /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib, or /opt/jpeg6/lib (a lot of this
is architecture dependent).  Once you find the directory, add it to your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable (should be set in your .cshrc or .bashrc
or .profile, depending on your shell) or if it isn't being set during login,
put a "setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /path/to/libjpeg.so.6" [csh, tcsh] or an
"export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/libjpeg.so.6" [sh,ksh,bash] in the correct
shell startup file.

Ben Horner-Johnson
ben at earth.nwu.edu