More on modelling and Grass

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Wed Oct 27 12:45:43 EDT 1999

Roy Sanderson wrote:

> Hello All
>
> I don't know whether this is relevant to this disucssion, but as I recall,
> when the first PC version of Grass was launched by LAS about 5 years ago,
> it contained some sort of Grass 'Visual Toolbox', allowing you to link
> various Grass routines together directly through the GUI.  The publicity
> gave the impression that this would be similar to linking modelling
> components together in a program such as ModelMaker.  I've not tried
> Grassland, so I can't say how good this approach is, but has anyone tried
> to use this feature regularly, and would an extension of that approach
> provide both power and simplicity for the non-programmer that many comments
> suggest?  Unfortunately, I suspect that the code is not in the public
> domain however.
>
> Roy

I was never very impressed with the implementation of this feature in
Grassland, as the various options and values were not graphically
presented. In other words, the visual representation of the model did
not tell you all the details that you'd want to know to understand the
relationship between components. ESRI is working on something along this
line for ArcView Spatial Analyst; it'll be interesting to see if they do
a better job.
--
Best regards,
	-Malcolm

Malcolm D. Williamson                       malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies      Voice: 501-575-2734
12 Ozark Hall                                   Fax: 501-575-5218
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville AR 72701
http://www.cast.uark.edu/