RH6.2 and GRASS5 (NVIZ - Mesa problem)

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Tue Apr 25 11:45:05 EDT 2000

Trond Rafoss wrote:

> Dear Grass users.
>
> Recently I upgraded from Redhat linux ver. 6.1 to ver. 6.2
>
> Still running Grass5b6 I got the following message when I started Nviz:
>
> GRASS:~ > nviz2.2
> /usr/local/grass-5.0b/etc/bin/contrib/cmd/NVWISH2.2: error in loading shared
> libraries: libMesaGLU.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
> GRASS:~ >
>
> RH6.2 comes with Mesa ver. 3.2 which I guess is the problem.
> I have now also tried Grass5b7, but still have the same problem.
>
> Maybe compilation of Grass on my system could solve the problem - I have so
> far used the precompiled binaries.
>
> Any suggestions ?
>
> Best regards from
>
> Trond Rafoss

Hi Trond,

the problem with precompiled binaries using shared libraries is that the
path to the library and its name/version are set at compile time. Please
read the README.mesa31 file i wrote for mesa3.x.

First check if you have installed the libraries: 'locate libMesaGLU.so.'
The mesa3.1/3.2 libraries are named libGLU.so.1 if i remember correct.

If the library is not found, you should first install mesa3.x (from
source or from rpm) and then compile grass.

If the library is found in /usr/local/lib you must either add
/usr/local/lib to your library search path (done in the file
/etc/ld.so.conf if i remember correct, see man ldconfig for details) or
you must issue 'export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib' befor you start
nviz.

If the library is in /lib or /usr/lib or has another name you are out of
luck and must recompile grass.

Hint for the people who compile the grass5 binaries: either state that
it is compiled against libMesaGLU.so.3 (mesa3.0) or install mesa3.2 on
the machine and recompile the binary. I don't know which mesa version
other distributions than Red Hat have installed. It seems to me that Red
Hat at the moment is a bit too far ahead in implementing new libraries
(glibc2.1 etc).

HTH,

Andreas

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de, A.C.Lange at GMX.net