[GRASSLIST:1224] Re: Grass 5 beta 9

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Wed Dec 6 23:56:06 EST 2000

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 08:18:17PM -0800, Bill Kristan wrote:
> I just downloaded the Linux binaries, installed them, then tried to run
> grass5, but got the following:
>
> Starting GRASS ...
> ERROR: Invalid user interface specified.
> Use the -help option to grass for valid interfaces.
>
> I tracked the message down to the Init.sh in etc, but that's as far as I got.
> I've run grass on this machine before, including tcltkgrass, so I don't think
> it's missing tcl or tk files. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill Kristan.

There've been some very recent changes to the start-up scripts and it
looks like all the kinks haven't been worked out.  Try it with the -text
option, then maybe run tcltkgrass to see if it starts up then.  This may
be the result of recent changes regarding ~/.grassrc5 wanting a
variable, but you have an existing copy from previous versions that
doesn't have this variable.  After running that once, it maybe will
start up okay from then on.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>