[GRASSLIST:2154] Data conversion advice wanted

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jul 25 19:53:22 EDT 2001

  I have source data in SDTS format (it's a DEM) projected as UTM (Zone 11),
NAD27 datum. I want to get these data into my project mapset (projected as
SPC, NAD83-feet datum). So far, I've progressed to pushing the data through
r.in.gdal and it's now sitting in another location/mapset.

  r.proj refuses to recognize the mapset within the location. Sigh. In any
case, it cannot convert the datum from NAD27 (feet) to NAD83 (feet).

  Am I better off using the fips and sdts code and converting from SDTS to
ASCII, then using the USGS 'proj' program to convert both the projection and
datum, finally running in s.in.ascii to bring it into GRASS?

Advice wanted. Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
                 Making environmentally-responsible mining happen.