[GRASSLIST:1561] Re: GRASS on PowerPC

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Mar 7 12:15:52 EST 2001

Hi Lisa, Hi Lyle:

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 10:43:23AM -0600, Lisa Zygo wrote:
> I received an e-mail and phone call from Lyle Browning, who is trying to
> install the PowerPC version of GRASS.
> The directions at
> ftp://intevation.de/freegis/ are a bit vague.

This is true, it is only our developer ftp server for updates
of the FreeGIS-CD content and mainly for people who already have the CD.

The FreeGIS-CD documentation is also online at:
	http://freegis.org/FreeGIS_CD/freegis_cd.en.html

Check:
	http://freegis.org/FreeGIS_CD/requirements.en.html
	http://freegis.org/FreeGIS_CD/installation.en.html
	http://freegis.org/FreeGIS_CD/grass.en.html

The CD is for people having a running GNU/Linux Systems already installed.
It was tested with: RedHat, SuSE , Debian 'potato' and LinuxPPC 2000

> I am sending this request
> for help on behalf of Lyle (lebrowning at worldnet.att.net).  He wants to
> know what all he needs to download and what to expect.

A running GNU/Linux System has to be installed on the machine.
If you do not know what this is, it will probably not be something
you want to try out, unless you are very adventurours.
	(http://www.penguinppc.org/)

> At this point,
> he receives a "real time player error".

It is a problem with his ftp Browser.
It assumes that the .rpm suffix is  a real-player file.
You can usuablly download and save the link directly. (Right mouse
button menu in netscape)

But without running GNU/Linux for ppc it does not help to have the
rpm anyway.

Best,
	Bernhard

> The following is his original
> e-mail:
> --
> Hello,
>
> Having seen that GRASS works on the Power PC platform, I
> downloaded the 4.3 version and can't get it to do anything,
> completely unrecognizable, etc.
>
> What do I need to do to get this program up and running on
> my Powerbook G3?

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)