[GRASSLIST:1637] Re: 5.0b11 problem with d.mon

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Mon Mar 19 21:55:19 EST 2001

Hi Brian

brian_adams at jbadams.com wrote:

> I just upgraded from b7 to b11 and I am getting the d.mon problem
> that a few others mentioned.  When I run d.mon start=x0 I get
>
> Sorry, </usr/local/grass5/dev/fifo.1a> not available
> Have GRASS adminstrator check etc/monitorcap file
> Can't stat /usr/local/grass5/dev/fifo.1a
> Problem selecting x0. Will try once more
> Can't stat /usr/local/grass5/dev/fifo.1a
>
> I don't have an /etc/monitorcap file.  How is this created?  Also,
> /usr/local/grass5/dev is a shell script, not a directory.

I assume you have downloaded the source code tarball since this problem
hopefully doesn't appear in the binaries. Hopefully, all you need to do
is add one line to the Makefile and re-install. So, first run

make uninstall

Then change the Makefile around line 190 from this:

real-install: FORCE
        test -d ${INST_DIR} || ${MAKE_DIR_CMD} ${INST_DIR}
        test -d ${BINDIR} || ${MAKE_DIR_CMD} ${BINDIR}

to this:

real-install: FORCE
	test -d ${INST_DIR} || ${MAKE_DIR_CMD} ${INST_DIR}
	test -d ${INST_DIR}/dev || ${MAKE_DIR_CMD} ${INST_DIR}/dev
	test -d ${BINDIR} || ${MAKE_DIR_CMD} ${BINDIR}

Now you can run

make install

again and hopefully, everything wil be OK. Note that you may want to
make the same change in the Makefile.in file incase you ever run
configure again.

Please let me know if you have any other problems.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center