[GRASSLIST:3395] Re: Running Grass on a Mosix cluster?

Antonio nightnavigator at libero.it
Wed Mar 27 18:36:00 EST 2002

Hi.

Let me figure this out. You mean that if I run r.suf.countour on a 20
million cell file (20 days on a 450Mhz processor) I can't benefit from
mosix or multiprocessor cluster? And if I run two instances of
r.surf.contour then mosix will send one of them to a free node of the
cluester?

However I think that a big suite like Grass needs MP. If it is to be a
full open sourced spirit program it must be accessible also to those who
do not have the money to by super powerfull dual processor systems. Lets
think on how important Grass can be for the developing countries. Yet in
those countries there is surely no possibility to have access to very
powerfull hardware. Only clustering small hardware can give access to
readonable computing power.
Is the Grass Developing team considering the possibility of integrating
MP on some of the Grass programs? Maybe those who need a lot of
computing like the above mentioned r.surf.contour ....

It would be nice to collect some opinions on this topic.

Regards.

--
                 Antonio Gennarini
                Crecchio, CH - ITALY