[GRASSLIST:3714] Linux vs. Windows 2000 port

Erin ODoherty/RMRS/USDAFS eodoherty at fs.fed.us
Wed May 22 12:36:07 EDT 2002

I am about to (finally) get rid of my old HP workstation because it is too
old and slow to make it worth upgrading to GRASS5.  I am debating whether I
should keep an older Pentium to run Linux for GRASS5 or if I should try to
run GRASS5 on my jazzy new Windows2000 PC.    From reading the website
information I am thinking that installing GRASS in the Windows environment
is probably more trouble than it is worth.  (Also, I would greatly miss the
functionality of Unix, since I have written a lot of shell scripts for
GRASS and I am so accustomed to doing editing with vi and awk, etc. )  So,
could someone with experience with GRASS in Windows advise me?  Is it
really no big deal?  Would I have to switch all my scripts to perl?
Thank you,

Erin O'Doherty