[GRASSLIST:3717] Re: Linux vs. Windows 2000 port

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Wed May 22 12:46:51 EDT 2002

Personally I would dual-boot the box, but that depends on:

1)Whether you have spare disk space, and if you are using FAT32
somewhere (as it can be resized easily by most linux distros), or if you
have alternate ways of making space on the disk

2)What display card you have, and whether it has 3d support under linux
(if you use stuff like nviz).

I had troubles with the win port of grass5, it was much easier to
install Mandrake 8.2 and teach someone how to use it than setting it up
under winxp (as I had to get another student going with it).

Note of course that bash is available for win32 (cygwin port).

Btw, RPMs for Mandrake 8.2 are on their way, there are already RPMs of
pre3 in the Mandrake cooker ...

Buchan

Erin ODoherty/RMRS/USDAFS wrote:
> I am about to (finally) get rid of my old HP workstation because it is too
> old and slow to make it worth upgrading to GRASS5.  I am debating whether I
> should keep an older Pentium to run Linux for GRASS5 or if I should try to
> run GRASS5 on my jazzy new Windows2000 PC.    From reading the website
> information I am thinking that installing GRASS in the Windows environment
> is probably more trouble than it is worth.  (Also, I would greatly miss the
> functionality of Unix, since I have written a lot of shell scripts for
> GRASS and I am so accustomed to doing editing with vi and awk, etc. )  So,
> could someone with experience with GRASS in Windows advise me?  Is it
> really no big deal?  Would I have to switch all my scripts to perl?
> Thank you,
>
> Erin O'Doherty

Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202