[GRASSLIST:5938] Re: Multiple coordinate systems

Phillip J. Allen paallen at attglobal.net
Tue Apr 1 10:23:15 EST 2003

John,

With being a geochemist I often have to work with samples taken along
lines (north & non-north) and plot them on a UTM map.  I personally just
load all my data into a database (I like PostgreSQL, but anything is
good) which has grid and utm coordinate columns.  Then I have a few
functions (in postgresql and MS Access) that based upon the usergrid
base-point and degrees of rotation from north, transform all my
coordinates to UTM or geographic.  For me it's always more convient to
let my database handle all the coordinate transformations because often
there is a mixture of samples collected with UTM, usergrid, or
geographic coordinates or even drill/trench samples (that have a collar
point, orientation, and from-to distances).  Now with all the samples
having the same type of coordinates everything can be pulled into the
map as one big layer if necessary.  And regenerations are faster.

Your e-mail indicates that you are dealing with geophysics and I will
guess that you are trying to overlay some of those lovely non-north
grids based upon lines that the project geo layed out for you.  I know
they are necessary but they drive me crazy too.  But again I have been
hearing that PostGIST with possibly or can now handle grid data.  In the
future I think rdms based data will be the proper route even for
cross-sections such as IP lines.  For one of my clients I have
PostgreSQL views that transform the sample coordinates (UTM E/N/Elev) to
user-defined cross-sections coordinates to plot them up in ArcView or
MapInfo.

good luck,

Phillip J. Allen
Consulting Geochemist/Geologist