[GRASSLIST:876] RE: GRASS on Mac OS X

Bruce Bushby bruce.bushby at wol.co.za
Thu Jul 31 14:12:42 EDT 2003

I know how you feel, also new to grass! From what I've read so far, try
the following (as I said I'm also new, so expect corrections from the list)
Also
I've never worked on a MAC, so not sure if any of this will make any sense.

First setup your user environment (the one that is running 'grass5'). Inside
$HOME, create a .grassrc5 file, this is parsed by Grass on startup, ie:
GISDBASE: /usr/local/grass5/gisdbase
LOCATION_NAME: london
MAPSET: wimbledon.london
GRASS_GUI: tcltk
MONITOR: x0

**I'm not sure about your monitor on a MAC, perhaps remove this line for
now.

Inside your users ".bash_profile" or equivalent environment file, export the
following:
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/grass5/bin:.
export GISRC=$HOME/.grassrc5
export GISBASE=/usr/local/grass5
export LOCATION=london
export GISDBASE=/usr/local/grass5/gisdbase
export LOCATION_NAME=london
export MAPSET=wimbledon.london

Create a very basic blank database directory tree, ie
/usr/local/grass5/gisdbase
/usr/local/grass5/gisdbase/london
/usr/local/grass5/gisdbase/london/PERMANENT
/usr/local/grass5/gisdbase/london/PERMANENT/LOCAL_WIND
/usr/local/grass5/gisdbase/london/wimbledon.london/
/usr/local/grass5/gisdbase/london/wimbledon.london/WIND

*probably should sit somewhere else, ie: /data/gisdbase

LOCAL_WIND and WIND should contain the following:
proj:
zone:
north:
south:
east:
west:
cols:
rows:
e-w resol:
n-s resol:

Provided you have not made any mistakes, you should be able to start Grass.
Remember your
region is not set, DEFAULT_WIND and WIND are empty templates. Try 'g.region
vect='grass vector map'
to set the region based on the map.

Use d.mon to start a monitor, then various commands depending on what format
your maps are in, for
example, using ESRI shape files:
v.in.shape input=yourmap.shp out=yourmap, then
v.support map=yourmap, then
s.in.dbf yourmap.dbf
s.in.shape in=yourmap.shp (Although this 'segmentation faults' on me?)
and something similar for rasta and other formats.

If you manage to display a rasta image of street maps, please tell me how.
I've been stuck
for 4 days now :)!

All the best