[GRASSLIST:5717] Re: Problem with GRASS

John Chesnut jchesnut at slonet.org
Sun Mar 2 21:23:27 EST 2003

>Hi GRASS users
>
>I have a problem.  I am running off of MAC OS 10.2.4.  Suddenly I
>can't use grass any more.  I get the following when I try to start
>up:

SNIP

This is a bug in the tcltk on  Mac implementation.
The .grassrc file in the head of your user directory is corrupt.

You can fix this  three ways.
1. deleting the .grassrc file, which will delete your preferences.
2.  by editing the .grassrc file in a unix cabable text editor like BBE
3. starting grass in text mode by entering the command grass5 -text
in the X11 xterm window.

the .grassrc file is a hidden file (because of the period),  you may
find it by using the Finders find command, but set the options:
visibility to "all"

The problem occurs because setting a new location in the tcltk start
up window fails, but only after errasing the old default location in
the the  .grassrc preference file.  This is related to the Can't
write to Console bug, that forces you to quit and restart tcltkgrass
before it is usable.

To create a new location you WILL always have to start grass in text
mode.  You can then exit and restart grass -tcltk to get GUI access
to grass.

You may want to keep a spare, working  .grassrc file saved because
this problem will reoccur.

In general I'm finding lots of plain wrong items in the tcltkgrass
implementation.  Some of these include:

d.pan will not exit  but must be force quit

i.grey.scale does not exist in my distribution

d.mon  start=CELL does not exit, but must force quit  from the
process viewer or top ( d.mon works in the X window commands)

d.mon start=CELL will work when typed into the xterm window as a text command.

d.mon start=PNG does not run ( terminates Wish) ( a PNG driver is
listed in the drivers directory however)  this requires a pg library
which the OpenOSX binary installer claims to have installed

r.compress must have the "input" parameter renamed to map

cell.out.tiff won't run because the window extends off the screen and
the run button cannot be accessed.  I haven't figured out how to
resize the tcltk windows when the zoom corner is not available.

d.where won't terminate if you select more than 1 location at a time.
the one button to three button mouse conversion seems to be causing
this problem.

d.vect will hang when running with the CELL monitor selected.  You
must force quit d.vect in the process viewer..  The hang occurs after
the data is written so the CELL is updated.

I haven't got the postgresql database to run, but this is my newbie
ignorance of confiuring the unix ports.