[GRASSLIST:5726] Re: Doubts in ./configure

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Mar 3 18:00:05 EST 2003

javier garcia wrote:

> I'm installing GRASS5.0.0pre5 and I've got some doubts:

pre5 is quite dated; the latest version is 5.0.1.

> First of all. I see that there is an option for compilling against gdal. I've
> installed gdal from precompiled binaries, and I write
> --with-gdal=/usr/local/bin ; but a message appears telling me that I've not
> chosen to
> compile against gdal. Why?

If you specify an argument to --with-gdal, it should be the complete
pathname of the gdal-config script, e.g.

	--with-gdal=/usr/local/bin/gdal-config

Alternatively, you can just use --with-gdal (without a value).

> Is it necessary to use this option to use gdal?

No. The --with-gdal switch forces r.in.gdal to be linked directly
against libgdal at compile time. Without that switch, r.in.gdal will
load libgdal dynamically (like a "plug-in").

> The other problem is that the following message appears:
> ----------------
> checking for dnrm2_ in -lblas... no
> checking for dnrm2_ in -lblas... no
> configure: error: *** Unable to locate BLAS library.
> I've found 'dnrm2_' in libblas.so.3, but I haven't got a libblas.a. Could I
> chose this lib instead of libblas.a? How? A similar thing occurs with lapack.

Currently, the BLAS and LAPACK libraries aren't actually used by
anything (more precisely, they are used by a couple of functions which
aren't actually used).

As for why the test fails: look in config.log for any error messages
related to libblas.