[GRASSLIST:1176] Re: Papers on hydrogeological applications in GRASS GIS?

SWlab swlab at cornell.edu
Wed Sep 10 13:00:14 EDT 2003

[Wednesday 10 September 2003 11:19] From Antonio G. - Geotronix

There are already some models implemented in GRASS: have a look to r.answers,
or r.topmodel for example.
Here, at the swlab, we also developped a water balance model, SMDR (for Soil
Moisture Distribution and Routing), implemented as a set of bash/gawk/GRASS
scripts (I'm slowly converting some to Perl). Working with scripts is nice to
reduce the development time, but has a detrimental effect on computation
time, as you can imagine. It's OK for small watersheds (the larger I'm ready
to deal with is 800x900 cells, usually with a 10m gridsize), as long as some
hypotheses can be accptd.
We're still in development stage, the documentation is scarce, and the program
is far from being user-friendly, hence the limited availability. We'd be
happy to help you or any other potential user, though. Just leave an email
for further details (where to get some bibliographical references and a draft
of the documentation, as a starter).
Thanks
P.

--
Soil & Water Laboratory
Dept. of Biological & Environmental Engineering