[GRASSLIST:1199] Re: creating a desktop GIS application using GRASS

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Sep 11 08:18:27 EDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 11:58:06PM +1200, Hamish wrote:
> > > You might have seen that we've already have GRASS on several
> > > live running CDs. The problem mainly is in the data.
> >
> > I do have to disagree on this.  I've tried one of those CDs (the one
> > that *would* download!).
>
> Curious to know which one.

Yes, tell us please. :)

> > > We welcome your help. :)
> >
> > I wish!  Really, I want but can't.  Best I can afford right now is
> > lead people to try GRASS, and to help newbies pass the hump.   But I
> > do want to do more, at least tranlating docs.

Note that there are other Free Software application
around geoprocessing. Check freegis.org.
Some of them appeal more to new users.

This project also tried to make an instruction book
with several examples using GRASS and other Free Software.
Unfortunately is it is only available in German so far:
	http://freegis.org/freegis_tutorial/index.en.html

> Sure you can. Point out errors in the help pages and missing features in
> the TclTk menu system. File bugs & wishes in the bug system. Type
> something up for one of the missing parts of the tutorial. Translate the
> bits of the tutorial you think are most important. You don't have to be
> a programmer to help, and GRASS is a huge collection of little things
> needing help.

I'll second this.