[GRASSLIST:1206] Re: creating a desktop GIS application using GRASS

Gustavo Alcides Concheiro Perez gacp at d-konstruktors.org
Thu Sep 11 15:45:13 EDT 2003

Hamish wrote:

> Curious to know which one.

Knoppix GIS

> Which is why running through the Spearfish &/or Leics tutorial is
> so essential for new users (& needs to be on those CDs).

Yes, I agree.

> Matlab, Mathematica, R, GMT Mapping, GRI graphics -- all top scientific
> & industry software which require you to get down to the command line.
> GUI does not mean ease of use, and CLI does not mean hard to use. I
> usually make a GRASS icon[*] on the desktop of people who aren't big on
> the command line. That gets them straight to the TclTkGrass Menus & no
> command line horror.
> The "A" in GRASS is for "Analysis" remember, not Eye-candy.

I know all this!  *THEY* don't.  And most don't want to find out.  Now,
I'm not for pampering them---some behave like spoiled children.  But if
you want to increse GRASS user base, that's how many of the people who
need GIS think and act.  (And NOT me).

> Sure you can. Point out errors in the help pages and missing features in
> the TclTk menu system. File bugs & wishes in the bug system. Type
> something up for one of the missing parts of the tutorial. Translate the
> bits of the tutorial you think are most important. You don't have to be
> a programmer to help, and GRASS is a huge collection of little things
> needing help.

Ok, will see what I can do.  THIS I can do: I just thought that my
helping (and perhaps many others') would be much easier if there was a
laundry list of small tasks that needs doing, and that people could
check out.

Best,

-Gustavo