[GRASSLIST:2493] Problem with Cylindrical Equal Area Projection

David Orme d.orme at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Feb 6 04:32:59 EST 2004

Hi all,

This is partly to answer a question I asked the list last year about a
mismatch in Cylindrical Equal Area projection coordinates values
between grass and other GIS programs (ArcGIS and GeoTrans). I've
finally got around to chasing it up and talked to Frank Warmerdam and
Gerald Everden - there is a bug in CEA projections using proj4.4.7. The
problem looks, at a cursory glance, to only affect CEA projections with
latitudes of true scale >0 - the higher the lat_ts, the greater the
discrepancy (see below). I've used Gerald's libproj4 and lproj test
program - this gives the same values provided by ArcGIS and GeoTrans.
I've posted this on proj4's bugzilla site at Frank's request - this is
just for information for anyone using CEA in grass.

Thanks,
David Orme