[GRASSLIST:2196] Re: d.mon socket problem

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Jan 12 15:29:24 EST 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Ben Logan wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 11:27:36AM -0600, William K wrote:
> > make sure you have the DISPLAY environment var set to :0.0
> >
> > also make sure X11 is already running, if you're running GRASS from the
> > Terminal instead of an X11 xterm.
> >
> > On Jan 12, 2004, at 10:16 AM, David Orme wrote:
> >
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I've got grass57 built now - thanks to everyone. When I try and start
> > >a graphics monitor i get the following (most recent weekly snapshot,
> > >Mac OS 10.2.8):

> David,
>
> I don't know anything about the Mac OS, but my understanding is that
> it is very unixish.  If that's true, in addition to William's
> suggestions, you might make sure you have permission to write to
> wherever GRASS is trying to create the sockets.  For example, on my
> Linux box, sockets for user "ben" are created in /tmp/grass-ben.  If
> "ben" didn't have write permissions on /tmp, no socket(s) could be
> created.

There has been discussion on this recently on the R list. While OSX is
close to Unix, it isn't always right to think Unix means X. R users have
found that OSX will only sometimes set DISPLAY (so causing graphics output
to fail when needing a running X server - Apple provides alternatives I
think). The cases were predictable. Google "R" gets you to R, R-help
mailing list archives.

Roger

--
Roger Bivand