[GRASSLIST:2983] Re: NViz: command not found

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Mar 19 03:05:31 EST 2004

Richard Greenwood wrote:

> >                I have a problem -  occuring on the Windows port of GRASS
> > (5.0.2) using the cygwin
> > environment and XWindows driver. When I type nviz at the command prompt I
> > get a "command not found" message.
> > Searching my cygwin tree I see I only have one file called nviz, in
> > usr/local/grass5/tcktkgrass/module, and it's only 1K.
> >
> > Does this mean I haven't installed nviz? If not how do I? Is it possible
> > to install binaries only, or is compilation of source necessary?
>
> You can download a binary distribution of Grass 5.0.3 for Cygwin XServer
> which has a working Nviz from www.greenwoodmap.com/grass. In my
> experience, Nviz does not work very in the "generic" or non-XWindows
> environment.

Does the wingrass_xserver package (on grass.itc.it and mirrors) not
include NVIZ?

The NVWISH2.2 binary is available separately at:

http://grass.itc.it/grass5/binary/windows_cygnus/wingrass_xserver/NVWISH2.2.bz2

but that is of no use without the rest of NVIZ.

I've uploaded a package containing the other components of NVIZ (i.e.
the Tcl scripts and the bitmaps) to ftp://grass.itc.it/incoming;
hopefully that can be made available alongside the NVWISH2.2 binary
(although the package isn't Cygwin-specific, I think that Cygwin is
the only platform where NVIZ isn't included).