[GRASSLIST:3043] Re: Problems with TclTk Aqua

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Mar 29 12:41:40 EST 2004

Kurt Springs wrote:

> I recently downloaded the GRASS 5.3 and 5.7 binaries for OS X.  I must
> say that I am impressed by how they're shaping up.  I am having one
> problem.  I also installed TclTkAquaBi-8.4.5.  Afterwards, when I launch
> GRASS 5.3, the Wish Shell crashes.

tcltkgrass currently requires a Unix/X11 version of Tcl/Tk; it won't
work with the native MacOSX/Aqua version.

> GRASS 5.7, on the other hand, will launch, but when I try to display a
> map I get:
>
> Error:  channel "console1" wasn't open for writing

That error is a known symptom of running tcltkgrass with the Aqua
version of Tcl/Tk.

> Does anyone have any ideas on what is wrong and how to fix it?

Install a Unix/X11 version of Tcl/Tk. This can be obtained via fink,
although ISTR that pre-compiled binaries are available (I don't recall
where from, though; hopefully someone else can provide a link).