[GRASSLIST:3340] GRASS for archaeology

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue May 4 02:08:07 EDT 2004

I'm an archaeologist who has been using GIS since the early 1990's for
research in Spain and the American SW. I started with MapInfo, messed
with Idris a bit, used ArcView extensively, and ArcGIS a bit. I started
looking into GRASS seriously about a year ago and am doing most of my
work in GRASS now. I also teach courses in spatial technology for
archaeology here at ASU--using GRASS this semester--and did a
short-course on GRASS in archaeology at the University of Valencia last
fall. (you can see my current syllabus at
<http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton>)

Benjamin did a nice summary. What I can add is that GRASS is a very
powerful and rich GIS and spatial analysis environment. It takes about
as much effort (but no more) to learn GRASS well as any other equally
powerful GIS/analysis package. Some things that are easy in ArcView are
difficult in GRASS. But some things that are difficult in ArcView are
easy in GRASS. GRASS's big strength is its raster modules, and the
spatial analytical versatility that accompany them. However, the vector
modules are pretty good also--from an analysis point of view. And
they've been greatly beefed up in the new GRASS 5.7. As far as I can
tell, the most complicated thing about starting to use GRASS is
installing it--and this is getting easier.

Programs like ArcView and MapInfo are designed primarily to make nice,
sophisticated maps. They are good on visual display of vector graphics
and querying databases associated with the vector objects. GRASS is
designed primarily for spatial analysis. It can also make very nice and
sophisticated-looking maps, but not with the visual bells and whistles
of commercial Map-making GIS packages. On the other hand, its
analytical capabilities are extremely strong, and very extensible via
scripting. GRASS is also a very complete package, including not only
sophisticated GIS functions for raster, vector, and point data models,
but a range of spatial and other statistics, multi-band image analysis,
3D (actually '2.5D') visualization, and (experimental) true 3D
volumetric data models.

Many archaeologists see GIS as a new, and more sophisticated way of
making maps--and especially for making alternate versions of a map
showing different kinds of information or subsets of information
selected by querying an associated attribute database. This is fine,
but it is simply a faster and easier way to do what we've already been
doing on paper and more recently with CAD and drawing packages. IMHO,
the real value and power of GIS in archaeology is using it as a tool
for new kinds of research on the spatial data we inherently collect but
often do little with. GRASS is especially good for this. But so is
ArcView/ArcGIS with the Spatial Analyst and 3D Analysts extensions
installed and numerous 3rd party extensions available.

There are a couple of other reasons I like GRASS a lot. 1) From the
perspective of graduate students, it is a program they can actually
own--completely and legally--for the investment of time in learning it.
We have a very competitive license program for ESRI products here at
ASU. They are available across campus and students can purchase them at
a very steep discount. However, it still will cost $300-$600 or more
for a student to get a fully functional version of ArcView or ArcGIS of
their own. GRASS is free. 2) GRASS is cross-platform, meaning you can
use the same program no matter what computer you use (at least within a
wide group of systems). 3) GRASS is international. In part because of
its cost, but also because of its ability to run on multiple platforms,
GRASS is widely used across the world. As someone who works in Europe,
this is important. My colleagues in Spain are using it and interfacing
GRASS with a powerful archaeological information system. 4) GRASS is
very extensible. By using open-source tools, it interfaces with a wide
variety of other, powerful open source software, including R and Gstat
(is that the right spelling), ODBC and PostgreSQL databases, UNM
Mapserver, and other tools. Also, shell scripting makes GRASS as
programmable as ArcView (or possibly more so). 5) You can be a part of
creating GRASS. This is a great opportunity for archaeologists. ESRI is
notoriously difficult to contact for support, for example. While they
certainly want to develop a broadly useful product, they are a huge,
commercial concern and you are simply one consumer. However, you can be
a part of GRASS development and create GIS tools that can benefit
archaeology. Also, the other members of the GRASS development and user
community are VERY responsive and helpful. To some extent, this is part
of the open-source 'culture'. But it means that you can help to develop
tools for archaeology instead of always be trying to adapt something
designed for engineers or business analysts.

Anyway, I've probably said enough. But it has been enjoyable to find
such a good GIS package that is also fun to participate in.  Do look at
the Neteler and Mitasova book. It is worth the cost if you can't find
it at a library. Also a new version is out soon. Do get the new
Spearfish demo data and work through some of the things in the book.
The web site <http://grass.itc.it> is full of helpful things, even if
you sometimes have to dig to find them because there is so much there.
A very good place to start on the web site are the pages of the GRASS
Documentation Project. You may even find yourself contributing a GRASS
in archaeology primer in a couple years. Feel free to contact me if you
have any archaeology-related questions about GRASS.

Un saludo cordial
Michael Barton

C. Michael Barton, Professor
School of Human Origins, Cultures, & Societies
PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA