[GRASSLIST:3342] Re: GRASS 5.0 history

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue May 4 04:56:20 EDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 05:35:30PM +0200, Radim Blazek wrote:
> I have spent some time inspecting the possibility to change the license
> of vector libraries in GRASS 5.7 from GPL to LGPL.
> However, now with the results
> I have, it seems to be too difficult.

Radim,

in the past I have maintained the argument that
the advantages of a GNU GPL over the GNU LGPL are good for GRASS' libraries.
Recently I have started to rethink the balance of arguments a bit.
My main argument is that you are in the driving seat
for the vector libraries and they might be generally useful
and we all do not know how Free Software GIS might evolve.
Also GRASS got more competition with this functionality.
No matter to which side the balance of arguments leans in the end
it is important to keep control about this rights owners of the code
to keep legal maintenance possible.

> I have some results but also new questions.
> I decided to send this mail about GRASS 5.0 history, because it is desirable
> to find (and archive) as much information as we can, both for 5.0 and 5.7,
> regardless any license issues.

That is a very useful effort!