[GRASSLIST:4812] Re: Install on Mac OS X

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Nov 12 10:25:45 EST 2004

I strongly recommend that you use Lorenzo Moretti's binaries, especially if
you are trying this on Mac for the first time. Be sure to read the
installation guide--though it is mainly a double-click process. The most
important thing is to make sure you install the GRASS libraries. It doesn't
matter if you think you already have these files installed elsewhere, just
install the libraries. Later, you can decide if you want to remove them.
They will be all together in the /usr/local/grasslib directory.

As Kirk and others pointed out, the demo files are just a normally
compressed gzip file. Although stuffit expander occasionally has trouble
with tar.gzip files of binary applications, it has no trouble with these
data files. You can download them with Lorenzo's package or directly from
the GRASS main site (grass.itc.it). It doesn't matter where you put them (I
put them in /Users/Shared/grassdata). What does matter is that you tell
GRASS where your grass data folder is on your hard disk when you start GRASS
for the first time.

I hope this helps.

Michael Barton

On 11/11/04 3:03 PM, "Gretchen Gallegos" <gallegos3 at llnl.gov> wrote:

> Dear GRASS Users,
>
> I would really like to use GRASS, but always have trouble with the
> installation. I have just tried to install the latest version for the
> Mac. I think I have correctly installed by 5.7 and 5.3. However, I
> cannot install the grassdata_demo_filse. The installation goes past
> 90% completion and then fails. I am running OS X 10.3.6.
>
> I have been following the list and don't recall that anyone else had
> this problem.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Gretchen Gallegos