[GRASSLIST:9016] Re: ArcView vs GRASS

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 16:41:35 EST 2005

Don't blame the tool ...

ESRI has done for GIS what Microsoft did to productivity software. One
affect of this is that expert users (and use cases) were sacrificed to
get the tool out to the masses. ESRI is dominate because their product
was a better fit for the vast majority of users and they were the
first to market a product designed to solve  enterprise problems. This
lead to a return on their investment and in the end, industry
dominance. Not unlike Microsoft.

GRASS will continue to be viable in the same way Linux is...by filling
the niches that ESRI cannot or will not. A few strengths of GRASS over
ESRI right now are its flexibility and amenability to
research/academic experimentation.

David

--
David Finlayson
Marine Geology & Geophysics

Office: Marine Sciences Building, Room 112
Phone: (206) 616-9407
Web: http://students.washington.edu/dfinlays