[GRASSLIST:9105] Re: missing Freetype includes - can't build cvs 15.11.2005, 23:15

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Wed Nov 16 11:50:44 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 14:32 +1300, Hamish wrote:
> > > The Freetype includes not being found at configure.
> > >
> > > I receive an error about missing ft2build.h:
> > >
> > > maciek at sorbus:~/src/straight/grass6$ ./configure --with-cxx \
> ..
> > > --with-freetype \
> > > --with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype2/freetype/config/
>
> just "--with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype2"

Thanks Hamish, that did it!

David wrote:
> > What do you do to build
> > the debs? Is there any advantage to the debs over sudo ./make install?
>
> I'm not 100% sure on this, but try:
>
> cd /usr/src/grass/grass-6.0.1/
> dpkg-buildpackage
>
> you may have to use fakeroot or otherwise run as root.

When building from custom source code, I prefer checkinstall
http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/

Use the newest version.

Debs it produces shouldn't be officialy distributed I guess (dependencies not preserved, etc.) but are perfectly enough for domestic packaging.

Eg. my syntax for Grass61cvs:

sudo checkinstall -D --pkgname=grass61 --pkgversion=`date +%F` --strip=yes --stripso=yes --pakdir=/home/maciek/src/checkinstall_pakdir --deldoc=yes --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes --backup=no --pkggroup=checkinstall

For some software "--exclude=/usr/local/man" is required, otherwise the resulting deb will be impossible to install.

> The debs are useful if you need to install grass the same on several
> systems or will be doing a lot of installing/uninstalling.

I avoid installing by make install to keep track of what's installed in my system and to be able to unistall conveniently.

Maciek