[GRASS-user] 'ARNing: Cannot open driver 'dbf"

Raymond Fu raymond_fu at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 8 02:18:41 EST 2006

Thanks.  But my problem is that "copy" is an example of errors encountered.  It ocurrs for many operations in GRASS such as query, import.

  Here is another example.
  GRASS 6.1.cvs (spearfish60):~>v.db.connect -p map-roads driver=dbf
  Vector map<roads> is connected by:
  layer <1> table <roads> in database </home/xxx/spearfish60/PERMANENT/dbf/> through driver <dbf> with key <cat>
  GRASS 6.1.cvs (spearfish60):~> echo "select * from roads"|db.select
  DBMI-DBF driver error:
  cannot open dbf database: $GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/dbf/

  I am using GRASS version 6.1.CVS(grass-cvs) from http://geni.ath.cx/grass.html

  any idea?

  Thanks in advance.

  Raymond

Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Raymond Fu wrote:
> Sorry, I work in a user level, and know not much about C. Can you
> suggest me what the "special treatment" and how to make the
> "special treatment" by command line or other ways so that the g.copy
> can be run without error?

(it's probably a bug in the code, you'll have to wait for a new version?)

they quick & very dirty way to copy a vector map is to go into
$MAPSET/vector/ and just copy the folder with the vector to something
named something else, then do the same with $MAPSET/dbf/$MAPNAME.dbf
using the same name, and finally update the $MAPSET/vector/$MAPNAME/dbln
file in a text editor.

Hamish