[GRASS-user] readline issues

Jerry Nelson gnelson at uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 19 15:10:20 EST 2006

I've been commenting the with-readline=yes option out of my grass6.3
configure command (run on a CentOS/Redhat distro) because it can't seem to
find the library, even though I have told it where it is. But my question is
whether and why this is necessary. My understanding is that readline is what
makes command completion possible (in the shell, type a letter and readline
will try to complete the word for you). It may also be what makes it
possible to use the up and down keys to scroll through previous commands. In
the grass command window, I can get previous commands, but I don't get
command completion. I tried downloading the grass addon grass-complete but
was told my bash was too new for it.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Jerry