[GRASS-user] compare GIS

Willem Jenniskens willemjenniskens at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 29 09:38:53 EST 2006

Hello,

The company I work for wants to develop certain GIS functionality on top of an existing GIS product. I would like to do a small comparison between the various GIS programs so that we can make a motivated decision. The application must enable us to develop the following:
-         create functionality where a user can place symbols, lines or polygons in the map by drawing in the map. Next, a dialogbox must appear where he can enter some attribute information. The coordinates and the entered attribute data must be stored in a spatial database (postgis).
-         One can have multiple views (windows) that are linked together; so when you pan in one view, the other views will pan along automatically. (there are different layers in each view)
-         Create short-cut keys for various functions; for example to make layers visible / invisible and to zoom in to a certain scale.
-         It must be fast with raster and vector data
-         Make use of global variables that we can use in the entire application
-         Create buttons, menu bars, etc that execute our developed scripts

Can we do this with GRASS?