[GRASSLIST:10453] gis.m run failure

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Feb 20 20:25:45 EST 2006

I have been a command-line bigot forever, and rarely use the d.m or gis.m
features of GRASS --- I once tried gis.m and liked what I saw, but don't
use it routinely, and indeed haven't tried it in a few weeks.  As for
d.m, my first command on starting GRASS is typically "File->Exit" in d.m.

After all this talk of revamping GRASS so that the X displays can go away, I
decided to try out gis.m again lest I fall so far behind the times that
GRASS becomes unusable for me overnight.  Using grass-6.1 cvs updated last
night, I get:

> gis.m
Error in startup script: bad event type or keysym "ConfigureRequest"
    while executing
"bind .mapcan($mon) <ConfigureRequest> {
                set wstack %d
                        puts "stack is $wstack"
                        puts "mouse click $mon"

        }"
    (procedure "MapCanvas::create" line 117)
    invoked from within
"MapCanvas::create"
    (procedure "Gm::startmon" line 11)
    invoked from within
"Gm::startmon"
    (procedure "Gm::create" line 96)
    invoked from within
"Gm::create"
    (procedure "main" line 29)
    invoked from within
"main $argc $argv"
    (file "/usr/local/grass-6.1.cvs/etc/gm/gm.tcl" line 777)

Any hints on where to look for what's wrong here?  Could this be a tcl/tk
versioning issue?  (I'm using tcl/tk 8.3, although I do have tcl 8.4 installed
--- just not set up so that configure finds it, coz once upon a time 8.4 was
unusable with grass.)

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 oooh, the sky is the limit."  --- The Tick