[GRASSLIST:10509] RE: Thanks Ravi

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Wed Feb 22 02:03:13 EST 2006

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 20:40:28 -0800 (PST)
RAVI KUMAR <ravivundavalli at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Vijay,
>
>   I have just foundout that this format
>    NLAPS Format (NDF Format).
> is supported in GRASS.

Small correction: it is GDAL that supports NLAPS. Grass can utlize by
depending on GDAL for import (r.in.gdal).

>   Now you have to
>   1. Download the latest cvs of grass from grass.itc.it
>   2. Down load the RPMs
>   3. Install it on a Linux machine
>
>   Start using GRASS and you will notice how wonderful it is.
>   Welocome to FOSS GIS
>   Ravi
>
> "Akkineni, Vijay" <vijay.akkineni at ttu.edu> wrote:
>   Hi Ravi,
>
> Our Project is , we are trying to develop a website so that the texas
> farmers can see the yield of their crop online . For this we
> currently recieve information from landsat 5 satellite. The
> information we recive from landsat 5 are images which are in NLAPS
> Format (NDF Format). More information about the format can be found
> at http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/frmt_various.html#NDF . I am
> attahcing the header for your convenience . Now the poblem is my
> professor is very strict on using Geoserver because of his own
> reasons . and Geoserver cannot read the NLAPS format Now either the
> dta should be in POSTGIS database or in Geotiff format for Geoserver
> to read it . So we have to do the Conversion from NLAPS to GEOTIFF .

Vijay,

You could indeed import to Grass (r.in.gdal) and export to geotiff
(r.out.gdal). But if it is the only thing you need to achieve Grass
could be an overkill. Simply use gdal_translate - a command line
utility, part of GDAL package.

<snip>

Maciek