[GRASSLIST:9781] Re: Help with Documentation

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue Jan 10 11:37:16 EST 2006

Hi Paulo,

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 02:15:51PM -0200, pmarc wrote:
> Hi ALL,
>
> After much work with the localization of the messages to pt_BR, intend
> to help the project with the docs, and probably the nice people at
> Debian-GIS.
>
> I am already in sync with the cvs repo, and would like to know what
> can I do regarding the docs, without having to code (because I can't).
>
> In my system I have Debian's GRASS (6.0.1) and have noticed that some
> man pages are mixed english/italian text. There should not be a big
> issue to put them in english.

huh - sounds like a bug. Which one(s)?

> So, I want to help with the docs and also to localize them to pt_BR,
> but just don't know what to do.

We still have to implement a (script based?) approach to handle
translations docs. They should go into a dedicated directory,
then, after full GRASS *compilation* (in en_US locale) as many
runs [1] as languages are present must be done. This is practically
done by re-launching 'make' in a different locale.

The translated pages should then be stored with links between the
various languages in a directory parallel to the english docs.

Volunteers to implement it are welcome (even in a better way).

Markus

[1] HTML pages are auto-generated in a "virtual" session after
    compilation of a module. MAN pages are generated from the HTML
    pages subsequently.