[GRASSLIST:9876] Re: decision help needed: database for GRASS

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 10:18:09 EST 2006

On 1/17/06, Wolfgang Qual <Wolfgang.Qual at gmx.net> wrote:
> Dear list,
> currently, I am working with GRASS 6.1 CVS. In my office, more people will
> use GRASS and QGIS as the standard GIS. Therefore the question, which
> database system to store attribute data should be used is of increasing
> importance. As most of my colleagues are used to work with ArcView and it's
> simple way to work with attribute data.
> I played around with sqlite and grass and really like the sqlitebrowser for
> viewing the tabular data and to make some modifications (add / delete
> field), but I do not have any experiences on postgres and GRASS. As far as I
> know, there exists no comparable tool for pg as sqlitebrowser for sqlite.
> Now, I ask myself: What are the pro's and con's for postgres,sqlite or
> another database management programme. What system do other GRASS users use
> (and why?)?

I found very important to have a possibility to do SQL queries from attribute
tables of vectors in different mapsets. The only possibility AFAIK
is to use schemas in postgres (one schema per mapset).
OTOH fiddling with RDBMS/schemas  can be difficult for beginners.

I usualy start with dbf (but sqlite is better if it works for you)
and as work continues I am forced to swith to a new schema
on postgres. (You can switch to a different database backend
during the work in one mapset).

Radim