[GRASSLIST:9973] Re: [GRASS5] Re: Talking about an umbrella GFOSS foundation

Tyler Mitchell tjm at timberline.ca
Tue Jan 24 13:45:38 EST 2006

Michael Barton wrote:
> I joined the list to follow what is going on. Unfortunately, it has quite a
> bit of normal MapServer development/use issues interspersed with GFOSS
> foundation discussions.

Hi Michael,
Please keep in mind that while the first incarnation of the foundation
was more focused on MapServer, that is not the case any longer.  The
"msf-discuss" list is intended specifically for foundation-related
dialogue and debate - please use it!  Some people accidentally wander
into it and ask off-topic questions, but I usually point them back to
the right list :)  I understand that for some people being on a list
that is run off "mapserverfoundation.org" seems a bit weird, but until
we rename the foundation there is no way of readily changing the name to
something more representative of the broader scope.

I just want to encourage (and welcome!) all users/developers of open
source geospatial projects to join the debates as much as possible, so
that when the foundation does get started, it will be as useful for your
community as possible (regardless of whether your project joins it or not).

> I'm waiting to see how GRASS fits in. One relevant item that came up is that
> of licensing standards within the proposed foundation. The short comment
> suggested that GRASS's GPL license may be a limiting factor, but that it
> would probably be nigh on impossible to change.

I don't expect anyone to advocate setting a license standard/requirement
for foundation projects - at the most we may desire to have one that is
at least OSI recognised.

> Something I haven't seen come up yet, but what is probably the most
> important set of issues at the meeting next week is the governance structure
> and how support would be allocated.

What do you mean by 'support'?  The governance structure must be set up
in a way that makes it desireable for projects to join.  That is the
common goal that I hear from everyone who is attending.  I'm really glad
to know Markus is coming.

Tyler