[GRASS-user] cs2cs question

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 03:50:53 EDT 2006

You find the init parameters in the proj directory. On Ubuntu they are here:

/usr/share/proj

Open one of those files with your text editor and look up the number
for the projection you need. Then when you have found it feed it to
the init parameter like this:

+init=<filename>:<projection number>

Assuming that you do need to convert to UTM zone 11, NAD83 search for
the line in epsg that begins with this:

# NAD83 / UTM zone 11N
<26911>

so the init would be +init=epsg:26911

Keep in mind that there are HARN grids, and many versions of each
ellipsoid. It is worth searching for UTM zone 11N multiple times to
see all the possibilities. Only one of them is probably what you want.

On 6/12/06, gary <lists at lazygranch.com> wrote:
> From
> <http://cemml.carleton.ca:8080/OGUG/Members/smitch/raster-elevation-data-in-grass-workshop>
> the cs2cs program command line example is:
>
> cs2cs +proj=latlong +datum=NAD83 +to +init=epsg:2146 -r << EOF
> ? 45d30'0"N 76d0'0"W
> ? 45d15'0"N 75d30'0"W
> ? EOF
> 343875.12       5040130.27 0.00
> 383295.32       5012713.16 0.00
>
> Now I want to convert from latlong to UTM. However, I can't find the
> "init" parameter in the cs2cs documention. [Oh, I'm sure it's pilot
> error, but I did read "Cartographic Projection Procedures for the UNIX
> Environment—A User's Manual" )
>
> The UTM will be in zone 11.
> 38.16922 -116.84495
> 36.35138 -115.84293
>
> Could someone provide a bit of guidance here? The correct command line
> and some explanation of where the parameter come from would be great.
>
> I have the latlong coordinates needed to do the conversion. I'm assuming
> the EOF is just a control-D.

David Finlayson