[GRASSLIST:10720] Re: Viewing raster maps a native resolution

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Fri Mar 3 12:08:27 EST 2006

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 07:11:49 -0800
"David Finlayson" <david.p.finlayson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to hear how people do poster-size output myself. So far, I've
> done mostly figure-sized output and d.out.png is fine for that. You
> can set up the monitor to roughly a multiple size of what you need.
> Then use d.out.png to export the monitor to a PNG file. Finally, add
> the map decorations necessary for your map in Inkscape or Gimp. On my
> (physical) monitor I can stretch the Xmonitor out to about 1200
> pixles. d.out.png res=2 will double that, so I have a png file with
> 2400 pixels on a side. At 300 dpi that is an 8-inch figure (high-res
> publication). At 150 dpi, which is good enough for most plotters, that
> is a picture 16 inches across. I don't know how to go larger than that
> for a full-sized poster.

I use Qgis map composer to output Grass rasters + vectors to an eps
(say A1), then cut that into A4 pieces with the poster (available
for Debian and forks), print them A4 pages. Worse if I will need to
edit the eps produced by QGIS further - does anyone know of an editor
able to import eps, preserving the raster, vector and text features,
edit it and save back to eps/ps/pdf?

Maciek