[GRASSLIST:10725] Re: Viewing raster maps a native resolution

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 13:21:57 EST 2006

On Friday 03 March 2006 09:08 am, Maciek Sieczka wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 07:11:49 -0800
>
> "David Finlayson" <david.p.finlayson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'd like to hear how people do poster-size output myself. So far, I've
> > done mostly figure-sized output and d.out.png is fine for that. You
> > can set up the monitor to roughly a multiple size of what you need.
> > Then use d.out.png to export the monitor to a PNG file. Finally, add
> > the map decorations necessary for your map in Inkscape or Gimp. On my
> > (physical) monitor I can stretch the Xmonitor out to about 1200
> > pixles. d.out.png res=2 will double that, so I have a png file with
> > 2400 pixels on a side. At 300 dpi that is an 8-inch figure (high-res
> > publication). At 150 dpi, which is good enough for most plotters, that
> > is a picture 16 inches across. I don't know how to go larger than that
> > for a full-sized poster.

David,

for simple output from a Xmon, I use the method that you mention, although I
will sometimes output at res=4 and then use imagemagick's 'convert' to scale
the image back down to 50% of that to get some antialiasing.

To get antialiasing in NVIZ, i use the 'output full res ppm' option, which
results in a HUGE file. I then use 'convert' to downsize this to an
acceptable size/resolution for poster printout. This has the benefit of
making large sized images AND antialiasing them. Here is an example:
http://169.237.35.250/~dylan/temp/flow_paths.png

> I use Qgis map composer to output Grass rasters + vectors to an eps
> (say A1), then cut that into A4 pieces with the poster (available
> for Debian and forks), print them A4 pages. Worse if I will need to
> edit the eps produced by QGIS further - does anyone know of an editor
> able to import eps, preserving the raster, vector and text features,
> edit it and save back to eps/ps/pdf?
>
> Maciek

Maciek:

Give Inkscape, Scribus, and Xfig a try for the editing of EPS files.

For larger maps, or for jobs that need press quality output, I use GMT.
Examples here: http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/102

Cheers,

--
Dylan Beaudette